More Timely Than Ever!

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Rothbard's 80th


Murray Rothbard was born on this day 80 years ago. It's hard to believe we've been without his spirited, cheerful, liberty-loving self for over 11 years. Maybe that's because he is still such a presence in the lives of hardcore libertarians and voluntarists everywhere. I have many fond memories of Murray, and I treasure each of them. I can still hear the echo of his unmistakable laughter. I have learned so much from him that trying to express my gratitude only fills me with a sense of futility. Those who have been influenced by him, and there have been many, know what I mean. Thanks to the World Wide Web, Murray Rothbard's legacy is never more than a few clicks away -- ironic, since Murray was proudly, defiantly "low-tech."

I will toast his memory tonight. Meanwhile read what Roderick Long wrote on the occasion of Murray's death in 1995. Then Google "Rothbard" and have a ball.

No comments: