More Timely Than Ever!

Friday, April 23, 2010

TGIF: The Washington-Wall Street Kabuki Dance

There’s something eerily ritualistic about the current occupant of the White House berating Wall Street for its irresponsibility and proposing new regulations, while his targets send a swarm of lobbyists to Washington to keep the regulatory overhaul from getting out of hand. (History says they’ll be on good terms with the regulators in any case.)

I’m reminded of journalist and historian Walter Karp’s book Indispensable Enemies. These apparent adversaries need each other.

The rest of TGIF is here.

I'm happy to say that Counterpunch has reposted the article.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karp's book is one of the more important nonfiction books ever written. Changed my entire political outlook. Nice to see others linking to it!

Sheldon Richman said...

Karp was an excellent journalist and historian. His "The Politics of War" is a masterpiece of work on the Spanish-American War and World War I. I highly recommend it.

I had the honor of knowing Karp. He died several years ago.