More Timely Than Ever!

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Gilad Atzmon's The Wandering Who?

A good way to get me to read a book is to warn me not to read it. Gilad Atzmon's The Wandering Who? A Study of Jewish Identity Politics falls into that category. Atzmon is thought-provoking at many levels and therefore controversial. Moreover he makes a valid point -- correction: several of them! I commend the book to anyone interested in the Palestine/Israel conflict, the Middle East in general, Jewish identity, and -- on principle -- fearless open discussion of important matters, especially matters of war and peace. (He answers critics here; need I add that I don't agree with everything he has written?) Atzmon also happens to be a top jazz saxophonist whose music I am just now getting to know. I hope to see him perform someday.

1 comment:

D. Saul Weiner said...

He does provide some excellent insights, but his blaming of the free market for the economic collapse was a huge mistake.

Ironically, he goes on to say in the very next chapter:

"As we can see, robbery and hatred is imbued in Jewish modern political ideology on both the left and the right. One must agree that , at least from an ethical point of view, theft cannot be the way forward, whether from Palestinians, Iraqis, or even the Tsar himself. Theft involves a categorical dismissal of the other, even when it is based on an inherent self-righteousness."

Sheldon, I think you could disabuse Atzmon of his understanding of the economic collapse, if you met with him, as he is so close.